AN ENCHANTED MAY DAY?
May Day May Day May Day.
May Day has two meanings….one is a ‘celebration’ of international workers and the other is used internationally as a distress signal.
How very apt.
Swine Flu, major automotive company Chrysler forced into bankruptcy, a debt with so many digits that it cannot fit onto a calculator, highest unemployment in decades, government spending out of control, a President who shrugs off anything with an arrogance that astounds many including the ‘flyover’ of Air Force One in lower Manhattan for a photo op terrifying thousands of New Yorkers by ‘saying he didn’t know about it and it’ll never happen again.
For those who still have jobs Happy May Day. For the rest of us…..
We’ve just had over 100 days of Hope and Change We Can Believe In. Let’s run through some of Obama’s highlights of the past 100 plus two days:
• Calling for the so called ‘Fairness Doctrine’ which is an affront to the First Amendment.
• Breaking his promise on not hiring lobbyists to his administration. He hired over 15 in the first two weeks.
• Asking for a monogram for Jesus Christ to be covered up during a televised speech at a Catholic University in which he goes on to quote the Sermon on the Mount.
• Flying around the world apologizing for America’s behavior.
• Bowing before the King of Saudi Arabia, a muslim, not that there’s anything wrong with that but I bet it sent shivers (not the Chris Matthews good kind) down the spines of AIPAC and Bibi. Given Saudi Arabia’s record on women’s issues I am surprised Michelle didn’t thump the King but she is a feminist like Hillary is – when it suits.
• Snubbing our closest allies the Brits. First, he returns the bust of Winston Churchill (whose mother was American) which was given to President Bush after 9/11, then giving Prime Minister Brown a bunch of DVD’s that do not even work in the U.K.. Then we have Her Majesty the Queen getting both a grope from Michelle Obama and an IPod chock full of show tunes and Obama speeches. Must have been her lucky day.
• Ordering the closing of Gitmo with no plan that can be discerned of where to send the prisoners to but that its possible that can be set up on American soil with welfare benefits.
• Indulging Venezuelan dictator Chavez but allowing him a photo op and accepting his gift of an anti American Diatribe and at the same conference sitting silently through a diatribe lasting almost an hour from the communist President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega.
• Releasing classified CIA documents despite the highest level of advice including his own CIA Director outlining in detail interrogation techniques and then has the brass neck to front up to the CIA in Langley the same week to address agents and telling them not to be discouraged when he acknowledges their ‘mistakes’. No wonder the CIA is losing people at a rate of knots.
• Telling the Russian President Medvedev that our commitment to missile defense is negotiable. Wonder what the real President (Putin) thinks about that. Bring back Reagan.
• Changing our language – words and phrases like ‘enemy combatants’, ‘war on terror’ and ‘terrorism’ have been dispensed with in favor of something a little bit more touchy feely. You were right George Orwell. You had NewSpeak now we have ObamaSpeak.
• Proposing military vets use their private insurance for the costs of service related injuries before the DVA step in.
• Signing a bill which the independent Congressional Budget Office said would hurt long term growth and actually be a fiscal disaster. Where is the trillion dollars plus coming from? Then Obama goes on to host a “Fiscal Responsibility Summit” one week after signing the ‘stimulus’ bill.
• Ordering his Cabinet to ‘cut’ $100 million in spending in 90 days after proposing sending up to five trillion dollars. Some commentators likened that to cutting out that Starbucks latte once every other week.
• Limiting tax deductions on home mortgage interest and proposing to limit tax deductions for donations to charities. So much for a community organizer.
• Moving the Census from the Department of Commerce into the White House of Raum is downright sinister.
• Then there is the auto industry. Obama said “The United States Government had no interest in running GM” then promptly fired the CEO.
• Nominations and the vetting process have been more than a worry. Here’s a couple:
o Tim Turbo Tax Geithner as Treasury Secretary to oversee the IRS amongst other things – the guy who couldn’t even pay his own tax until he was tapped to become a member of the Obama Cabinet.
o Holder as AG, the guy who urged former President Clinton to pardon 8 FALN terrorists and the notorious tax evader and Clinton donor Marc Rich.
o Janet Napolitano who famously said ‘ crossing the border is not a crime per se’ as our Homeland Security Director.
o Then we have Bill Richardson, Tom Daschle, Kathleen Sebelius, Ron Kirk, Nancy Killefer, Carol Browner, Tony West, Adolfo Carrion and David Hamilton as his first appointment to a federal appeals court. And that’s just a couple.
• Then there are what the NBC/New York Times crowd would call petty and not worth reporting. Remember President Obama disparaging, no insulting, Special Olympians on the Tonight Show? The ongoing debate on the teleprompter and his reliance on it and who can forget the dog? The dog that was definitely, absolutely going to come from a shelter – it was a campaign promise to his daughters no less but ..Nope. Came from Ted Kennedy no less – a pure breed of course. So no poor mutt that needs a home. Just like the Obama girls go to private school at the same time Obama is killing the school voucher program in the District of Columbia. Just this morning Michelle Obama was at a food bank smiling and dishing out cans of soup to the poor wearing brand new $500 plus sneakers. I guess a little bit of bling might bring joy to the eyes of the homeless in DC.
“Slobbering’ is not the only way to describe the media’s love affair with our new President but I detect a sense of buyer’s remorse from a significant section of the electorate. Post MayDay, let’s see what the next hundred hours, let alone hundred days hold for this administration.